Why Bangalore is also known as the Pub Capital of India & why you should explore it's Pub Culture



I get to travel to Banglore quite often, because of it being one of the IT hubs in India. Every time I visit a place/city, one thing always is on top of my mind - how can I use available time in best possible way and that certainly means exploring news things in that region or city. As an outsider, I used to ask from local folks about what to do in my free time. Interesting many times I hear - have you explored XYZ pub in Kormagala or something similar. Then I wondered what is so special about these pubs in Banglore city and then somebody said - Banglore is Pub City of India. Ok, I took a pause and then again asked myself why.


I get to travel to Bangalore quite often, because of it being one of the IT hubs in India. Every time I visit a place/city, one thing is always on the top of my mind - how can I use the available time in the best possible way and that certainly means exploring news things in that region or city. As an outsider, I used to ask local folks. This was interesting, as many times I would hear - have you explored XYZ pub in Kormagala or something similar. Then I wondered what is so special about these pubs in Bangalore city and then somebody enlightened me - Bangalore is the Pub City of India. Ok, I took a pause and then again asked myself why. 



Many folks may not agree, but I feel it's because of lack of natural spaces, historic things or cultural activities humans build artificial things, especially population of the city keeps increasing significantly. Over the years, city has seen huge growth and mainly in Information Technology sector where people are busy almost whole day and then come out late in the dark. Probably that makes it a good reason to visit a Pub and relax a but with your loved ones. I am sure, some of you would laugh and I can certainly be wrong on this.

Many folks may not agree, but I feel it's because of lack of natural spaces, historic things, or cultural activities that humans build artificial things, especially when the population of the city keeps increasing significantly. Over the years, city has seen huge growth and mainly in Information Technology sector where people are busy almost whole day and then come out late in the dark. Probably that makes it a good reason to visit a Pub and relax a bit with your loved ones. I am sure some of you would laugh and I can certainly be wrong on this.


When I started studying more about I realised that Banglore is also one of the first cities to bring this Pub culture in India and the population here was most appropriate to encourage this culture, in terms of diversity, age group and cultural backgrounds. There used to be times when regulations were against the nightlife and I would not use against, at least those were not favourable for the growing Pubs culture. Lot of Pubs and Pub lovers were happy when it was regulated that Pubs/restaurants can be open till 1am in the city.
When I started studying more about I realised that Banglore is also one of the first cities to bring this Pub culture in India and the population here was the most appropriate to encourage this culture, in terms of diversity, age group, and cultural backgrounds. There used to be times when regulations were "against" the nightlife. May be against is too harsh a term, but we can surely say that conditions were not favourable for the growing Pubs culture. Lots of Pubs and Pub lovers were happy when it was regulated that Pubs/restaurants can be open till 1am in the city. 


Certainly various other factors are connected when it comes to Nightlife. Safety being one of them and a serious topic in India. The good part is that Banglore is relatively better in comparison many other tier-1 cities of India.

Certainly various other factors are connected when it comes to Nightlife. Safety being one of them and a serious topic in India. The good part is that Bangalore is relatively better in comparison many other tier-1 cities of India. 


It's also interesting to see how this Pub culture is related to global phenomenon. Banglore is full of Multinational IT companies and that certainly means lot of travellers who visit other countries from this city and experience things in other parts of the world. The expectation change from your own place and reverse is also true. Wherein folks from other parts of the world come to Silicon Valley of India and then they need places to enjoy, relax and feel at home.

It's also interesting to see how this Pub culture is related to global phenomenon. Bangalore is full of Multinational IT companies and that certainly means lot of travellers who visit other countries from this city and experience things in other parts of the world. The expectations change and you start craving those experiences at your own native place as well. The reverse is also true. Wherein folks from other parts of the world come to Silicon Valley of India and then they need places to enjoy, relax, and feel at home. 



My recent visit to Banglore for a conference came up with opportunity to connect with college friends. On very first day, I planned to meet Rohin. He picked me from Novotel near Techpark and took me to Big Brewsky Brewry and Club.

And this Pub culture in the city is not new. And in fact, this has also seen multiple changes over the years. Before early 90s, it was usual for folks to visit these Pubs on week-days and weekends equally. Probably drinking across the days was at relatively moderate level. But after that when lot of BPOs and IT companies started coming in, Saturday & Sunday were pretty hectic for Pubs and they started seeing varied footfall on Weekdays vs Weekends. 


I wanted to visit Big Brewsky Brewry and Club again but in 4 days I had multiple things lined up, so couldn’t. But certainly that’s the place I would love to visit next time I am in Bangalore. It’s near to my office, so that makes it even easier choice :). Thanks Rohin, for taking me there and it was nice catching up with you.

In the last few years, city has started seeing lots of breweries and Beer consumption in the city has been pretty high. With all these indicators, certainly the city is growing as the Pub City of India and adding new dimensions to its culture. That's the beauty of being a Global City. 

Comments

Trending Post Today !

How to reach Kasol/Malana and top things to do around this stunning hill-station of Himalayan State of India

Main places to see & Top things to do around Dalhousie : Stunning Hill Station in Himalayan State of India