Have you ever read an article talking about ways to use mobile camera? Probably some fancy ideas which need extra stuff along with camera to achieve special effects. It sounded crazy when occurred to me about sharing how I used the camera in new Huawei P9. But, why I chose to write about it? Because it has lot more than other phone cameras and does things quite well. If you don't know, this camera has dual lenses which are designed in collaboration with Leica.
Should I share about all modes or should I start with examples of photographs clicked with camera? I though later would make more sense. This would give you an idea what kind of photographs can be achieved with this camera and then understand how.
1. Beautiful waterfalls, with motion being shown in photograph. (What you achieve with slow shutter speed in your DSLR cameras). Look at the photograph below and notice smooth flow of water and then read about the trick which is explained just below the photograph.
If you click the photograph with standard phone camera, you would see drops of water and a frozen moment of water. It would not give you a feel of flow. In above photograph, you see water flowing and this is usually achieved with slow shutter speed in DSLRs. Huawei P9 has a camera mode Light Painting. And there are few sub modes - Silky Water, Light Graffiti, Tail Lights and Star Track. Above photograph was clicked with Silky Water. There is one recommendation to click using any of these modes. Please put the phone on tripod or place it on a surface which makes it sturdy.
2. Photographs with rich details - HDR (High Dynamic Range)
Without saying much, Huawei camera has a HDR mode which captures intense scene with rich details. You would see good details in shadows as well as highlights.
3. Photographs with shallow Depth of field - Photographs with blurred background.
This is one of the most fancier styles of clicking photographs, wherein main subject is in focus and rest of the frame is blurred. Look at 3 photographs below and see if you like this effect. It can achieved by entering into Depth of Field control on camera screen.
4. Be fearless while shooting on the go - Photographing while traveling in a car or any other vehicle.
This sunset photograph below is clicked from moving car and you can see that it's quite sharp. Although there is some blur on left bottom but that can't be avoided. Such blur would come for things closer to you. That's why you don't see any blur in hills.
5. Time Lapse Video can bring more fun to trips :)
Just watch the video and you would know what time-lapse video is. Again the tip is to put camera on tripod. As you see, this video is shaky as it was shot handheld.
6. Horizontal and Vertical Panoramas.
Making Panorama is not a big deal with phone cameras, but making these correctly is tricky. It's an intelligent attempt by phones to stitch different views. And it's special when you get option to make vertical panoramas, like one you see below.
With this phone camera you can also click beautiful monochrome photographs, which you would see in one of the future Photo Journeys soon.
Other popular modes in Huawei P9 camera are - Beauty, Beauty video, Night Shot, Slow Motion videos, Watermarking, Audio note and scanning capabilities for documents.
Professional mode of this camera allows you to control ISO, Shutter speed, EV, AF , metering modes and white balance. And I would skip lot of other options available in camera mode of this phone. Just try yourself and feel free to drop a comment if you have any specific question.
If you liked this post and found it helpful, I would request you to follow these things when traveling -
- Manage your waste well and don’t litter
- Use dustbins. Tell us if you went to a place and found it hard to locate a dustbin.
- Avoid bottle waters in hills. Usually you get clean water in hills and water bottles create lot of mess in our ecosystem.
- Say big no to plastic and avoid those unhealthy snacks packed in plastic bags. Rather buy fruits.
- Don't play loud blaring music in forests of jungle camps. You are a guest in that ecosystem and disturbing the locals (humans and animals) is not polite
Here is another example of shallow Depth of Field.
Can you guess the lens and camera used to click this photograph? Give it a try. #instamoment #instagood #instamood #instalike #Travelgram #traveladdict #ttot #travel #oo #clickedwithp9 #huawei #travellingcamera #delhidiaries #Delhi #igers_india #igersoftheday #music #piano #musician #color #colorful #bokeh