The Great Indian Chai Experience - Restaurant on the way to Kannur


After crossing the Western Ghats on our flying taxi, I was severely mountain sick. I needed to stop and realign myself. Anyone who suffers from mountain sickness would know how dead it can make you feel. We were on our way from Wayanad to Kannur and even though it is only a 3-hour-long drive, we requested our driver to stop somewhere. He stopped in the town named Nidumpoyil at the restaurant that served snacks, chai, and coffee. The restaurant was called Hotel Prakash. Vijay ordered chai and vada for himself while I ordered just chai. We also bought some orange candy for my journey ahead. For those who suffer from mountain sickness, I have discovered that keeping a candy in your mouth helps a lot. Anyways, Vijay loved his vada, and my opinions about the chai are shared below.


However, we soon continued on our journey with VJ feeling refreshed and me feeling alive again.

Following are our observations about the chai:

Serving: Decent. Indian-style in a glass that was bigger than the regular chai-wallah glass.

Temperature: Perfect

Appearance: Light orange, too milky

Aroma: Aroma of tea that is too milky when the tea leaves haven't been boiled enough.

Taste: A tea that looks too milky, often tastes too milky. Add to that the fact that they hadn't any cardamom or cinnamon that Kerala is famous for. So it was basically chai-mein-patti.

Value for money? Tea costed Rs. 7 per cup. It is value for money if you are desperate for a cup of tea.

Comments

Sakshi said…
'Chai-mein-patti' ya 'doodh-mein-patti'.
I'm not too fond of tea and prefer green tea to chai. But just the thought of milky tea makes me run faster than I otherwise can. In the opposite direction, of course. :D
Maniparna said…
I don't like milky sort of teas... the smell I can't stand :-(
Kalpana said…
What a great blog post. I drink my tea black, savouring the taste of the leaves. But when I'm on the road I try the milky variety and usually enjoy it - if it's not too sweet and not too milky :)
Vibha said…
@Sakshi: Thank you, dear, for your comment. Yes, you are right. I meant "Doodh mein patti". I am okay with green tea too, but nothing can replace my morning and evening cups of tea.
Vibha said…
@Kalpanaa: Thank you for your comment. I have never really been able to warm up to the taste of black tea/coffee. I, too, find milky tea repulsive.
Vibha said…
@Maniparna: Thanks for sharing your views. If you can't stand the smell of milky tea, you should avoid this restaurant at any cost. Anyways it isn't too easy to find. :)
Unknown said…
So agree...I can never have milky tea...I like it less milk and a lil strong...nice click..the vada looks good though :)

Trending Post Today !

How to reach Kasol/Malana and top things to do around this stunning hill-station of Himalayan State of India

Main places to see & Top things to do around Dalhousie : Stunning Hill Station in Himalayan State of India