Lot of us explore different places in search of peace, heritage, hills, beaches, cultures, food and lot more. But have you ever heard of anyone who visit places in search of Butterflies. Yes, you read it right. Today I am sharing about another inspiring explorer who goes to different parts of Himachal Pradesh to meet various butterflies and study them.
Today I am sharing abut Reetu Patial who is a Wildlife professional in Himalayan State of India – Himachal Pradesh. She has a unique hobby of finding different types of Himalayan Butterflies and capture them in her camera. When I asked how it started and what you want to do - “When I started wildlife job and met lot of conservation experts. Butterflies seemed very special to me and especially butterflies of Himachal Pradesh. I have been able to find 150 of them and will continue to discover more. I feel that I need to know lot more to find next set of butterflies. Understanding their habitat and other characteristics can guide me better. So far, I have been doing this search without any strategy but now more knowledge and strategy is required.”
I have met Reetu in one of the bird counting drives at Pong dam. She is very calm and has sharp focus. Imagine the amount of patience needed to follow butterflies and how satisfying it would be when you can capture them clearly in your camera. Wish to meet her again and talk a lot about her discovery of butterflies in Himachal Pradesh.
After knowing her, I have started observing butterflies and how each of them is different in terms of shape, colors, flight etc. Although I know a little but that is how a new thing starts and make this world more beautiful for you. As a photographer, I also try to spend more time observing things around me rather than keep clicking in a hope that I would get a good shot.
If you liked this post and found it helpful, I would request you to follow these things when traveling -
- Manage your waste well and don’t litter
- Use dustbins. Tell us if you went to a place and found it hard to locate a dustbin.
- Avoid bottle waters in hills. Usually you get clean water in hills and water bottles create lot of mess in our ecosystem.
- Say big no to plastic and avoid those unhealthy snacks packed in plastic bags. Rather buy fruits.
- Don't play loud blaring music in forests of jungle camps. You are a guest in that ecosystem and disturbing the locals (humans and animals) is not polite