Many times when a good magazine approach us (you can read 'us' as 'me' as well :) ) to publish the photograph we clicked, we feel happy. And that happiness makes us do things which we don't want. Recently Conde Nast approached me to publish one of the tea photograph for their magazine. They asked me to send low-res photographs of tea, tea vendors etc. I compiled this list and sent.
Thanks to Lightroom and proper tagging, which helped me compiling the list of photographs in 15 minutes. After sharing these photographs, I awaited for the response and then I got a response that one of the image is selected to be printed and Conde Nast would pay 500 Rs for the photograph. This sounded a bad deal. My heart said yes and mind said no. Heart won over mind and I sent the photographs.
Here is what I sold for 500 Rs -
1. 4 hours for visiting Chandni Chowk from Noida
2. Apart from time, it costed 250 rs to travel via metro and have a meal at Chandni Chowk
3. After coming back home, spent 2 hrs on post-processing
4. 1 Hr spent again when Conde Nast approached
5. Then created an invoice and spent 70 rs to send that invoice to Conde Nast office in Mumbai :)
It's a good reminder for me to listen to my mind and be careful about time & money I spend on creating these photographs.
Here intension is not to criticize any publication but to remind myself that I need to value my work before anyone else does.