Many times I have seen this topic on different forums, where Photoshop Elements users talk about moving to new machine. I see it a very important need because many of us have very large catalogs which are prepared for last many years. Good thing is that Adobe has provided very good and stable feature for achieving this particular need.
*** Critical things to move are associated metadata and organizing structures like Albums/Tags/Version-Sets/Stacks etc.
Now lets talk how it can be achieved. In Organizer part of Adobe Photoshop Elements, there is a feature called Backup which helps us taking complete backup of all files, their metadata, containers like Albums, metadata for better searching like TAGS, string association between original and edited versions like VERSION-SETS, groups of similar photographs like STACKS, Slideshows, creations, Photo-Books, Collages etc. So it take everything in backed-up package which needs to restore on other machine. Now lets discuss detailed steps to achieve all this:
WHAT ALL NEED TO DO ON OLD-MACHINE:
1. Launch Organizer and open the catalog you want to move to NEW Machine.
- Go to File Menu
- Click on Catalogs...
- Double click on the name of Catalog you want to open
2. Go to File Menu
3. Click on "Backup Catalog to CD, DVD or Hard Drive..."
4. It will launch Backup Dialog
5. Select FULL BACKUP
6. Press Next
7. Select the drive where you want to take backup of currently open Catalog
8. Select Backup Path
9. Click SAVE BACKUP
10. Take out the drive where backup has been taken and need to be attached to new machine for Restore.
WHAT ALL NEED TO DO ON NEW-MACHINE:
1. Attach Drive with backup and Launch Organizer
2. Go to File Menu
3. Click on "Restore Catalog from CD, DVD or Hard Drive..."
4. It will launch Restore Dialog
5. Select attached drive in "Restore From" section and select the backup file.
6. Select the location where you want to restore the catalog under "Restore Files and Catalog to" section
7. Click RESTORE
>> It will restore your catalog with all files, metadata and organizing structures.
ALL THE BEST !!!